Monday, December 3, 2012

November Newsletter


Hello Friends and Family!

The end of November is approaching fast, so it is time for another update on life here in the City of Brotherly Love.  It’s difficult to get myself to sit down and write these newsletters.  Part of me thinks that because this looks like another paper to write I am drawn into the same procrastination I fought during my years and years of school, but another part of me thinks that it is genuinely a difficult task to condense this rich and complex experience into a page of words.  Or perhaps it is a little of both.  Either way, I pray that I might enrich and bless you with this newsletter.
At the beginning of this month, the three Philadelphia teams were led by Chris Lahr, a Mission Year staff member, through an experience called PROP (Paupers Right of Passage). 
We began Thursday evening with a documentary that followed the lives of several homeless individuals for a year called Homeless Home Movies.  There were about 5 people who were highlighted in the film.  An incredible amount of diversity in age, family status, difficulties, and outlook on life were portrayed.  After discussion and a simple dinner, we headed over to his church to spend the night there.  We woke up early in the morning, ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and were driven to Center City, the downtown area. 
The main section of PROP was our day in the city.  We had boundaries, no money, no electronics, and were challenged to panhandle for food money.  With the exception of an hour of required solitude, we had eight hours of unscheduled, unstructured time before we were to be picked up.  God showed me a lot during those eight hours.  Listlessness, boredom, frustration, happiness, hunger, anger, discovery, and realization: I felt and experienced all these things as I began to understand a small portion of life on the streets.
Two key ideas that I was thinking about while on the streets were power and privilege.  PROP was not just about the “homeless”.  Not having a home is only a symptom.  PROP is really about the marginalized.  Marginalize: to trivialize, isolate, cut off, shut out, disenfranchise, alienate, estrange, or discriminate against.  Many who spend their months and years on the streets have been cast away by society.  How do we humbly serve our fellow brothers and sisters whom society has marginalized?  Being in the position that day where I had nothing to give but myself was freeing.  I could establish real relationships with people I encountered.
It is encouraging to know there are people to read these newsletters and care about what I am experiencing and learning.  Thank you all for supporting me and keeping me in your prayers!

With Love,
Michael Mann
michaelinphilly.blogspot.com 

Books I’ve been reading this month:
The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen
Community and Growth by Jean Vanier
Divided by Faith by Michael Emerson
Flat Broke with Children by Sharon Hays
Exploring Church History by James P. Eckman

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this! Experiencing life from the homeless point of view would be educational and inspirational. A day well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about how interesting it would be to try and experience life as a homeless person. I have never actually done it, but I have spent some time with homeless people and asked them about their life and how they ended up in their current situation. Some stories are heartbreaking while others make me feel disgusted because it is obvious they are just taking advantage of free hand outs. It makes me think how can I best love on these people, especially those that just want a hand out. I still haven't come up with a clear answer, maybe after you get back from your trip you can share more about your experience with loving on the homeless.

    ReplyDelete